Paint is now firmly “on the agenda” of leading scientists in the field of Microplastic Pollution research
Paint, a very important source of Ocean Microplastic Pollution, is now firmly “on the agenda” of leading scientists in the field of Microplastic Pollution research, thanks to NAMC and NORCE Norwegian Research Centre!
The North Atlantic Microplastic Centre (NAMC) brings together scientists who specialise in research on sampling, analysing, toxicity testing, monitoring and tracking of Microplastics. In addition, they study the impact of those Microplastics on Human, Animal and Plant life, together with the important issues of Mitigation and Regulation.
On Tuesday 8 November in Bergen, NAMC held their Annual Seminar, and it was super impressive to learn about the breath of the research underway by the different teams of scientists, and to hear the progress being made in their on-going work.
Gunhild Bødtker and Alessio Gomiero, who lead NAMC, very kindly invited Pinovo to make a presentation to the NAMC Annual Seminar, in our home town Bergen, with the title "Paint Microplastic Pollution: Hiding in plain sight, but not any longer!”.
We were delighted to talk about
- why #PaintIsPlastic 🎨 😲
- the risks of "Mismanaged Paint" ☹️
- how come this is “news" to so many, even in the scientific community? Take a bow, CEPE! 👎
- what has happened to change things? - Take a bow, UpLink - World Economic Forum , IUCN, EA - Environmental Action, Nina Jensen, REV Ocean 👍🙏
- what happens next? Important reports are expected to be published by the #eucommission (EU Environment and Climate) and The Pew Charitable Trusts in the coming months, signalling the direction of regulatory action on Paint Microplastic Pollution. 👏
- the different solutions to the problem of Paint Microplastic Pollution, including Pinovo’s Clean Blasting Technology 💪
- What Action is necessary now?
* research and findings on the impact of Microplastic Pollution on human, animal and plant life - the "So what?!",
* paint industry to educate its customers on the risks of mismanaged paint,
* regulators to create a level playing field for all paint companies,
* paint users to adopt measures to stop Paint Microplastic Pollution or, quite simply, #ResponsibleConsumption!
Great to learn from Hans Kleivdal that NAMC will be actively contributing to the upcoming negotiations on the proposed UN Plastics Treaty bringing science based, data driven evidence on the subject of Microplastics to the negotiating table.
Also great to see Jotun's engagement on the subject of Sustainability and Microplastic Pollution.
Pinovo is playing its part in solving the problem of Paint Microplastic Pollution, by promoting our clean technology and achieving its adoption in different industries across Europe, and also by raising awareness of the problem and solutions with industry, regulators and the public.